CALL CLOSED! CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST 2020: LIVING LABS AND TESTBEDS FOR ENERGY (MATCHMAKING & NETWORKING OPPORTUNITY)
Announcement of Call for Expression of Interest for Living Labs and Testbeds for Energy
The European Joint Programming Platform ERA-Net Smart Energy Systems (JPP ERA-Net SES) is pleased to announce a Call for Expression of Interest 2020 for Living Labs and Testbeds for Energy. The Call for Expression of Interest has been launched on 4 June 2020 and will close on 30 June 2020.
The overall objective of the JPP ERA-Net SES is to support transnational research and innovation activities for building a sustainable energy society. The programme aims at contributing to:
- Advancing the green energy transition in all sectors of the energy system while ensuring security of supply;
- Shaping new transnational business and investment opportunities by sector coupling and development of new value chains in innovative and cost-effective energy solutions;
- Ensuring social sustainability in the development of the green energy Transition
Scope and Ambition
The European Joint Programming Platform ERA-Net Smart Energy Systems has set a goal that beyond the funding of transnational RDD projects, it will accelerate the development of transnational innovation ecosystems by initiating a Transnational Validation Network
with existing and future Living Labs and Testbeds, allowing innovative companies / developers to test and validate their technological or service solutions in real-life settings.
This call of Expression of Interest seeks to find real-life Living Labs and Testbeds that are interested in providing testing and validation support to the developers of energy technologies and services. Living Labs and Testbeds that qualify as partners in the Transnational Validation Network will be presented on the JPP ERA-Net SES webpages and in the matchmaking platform of the program. So called Information Cards that describe the services provided by each Living Lab or Testbed will be produced and published. Developers could then get in contact because they want to test their solutions. They might also invite you to become a partner in a funded RDI project.
In the context of this Call, Living Labs are considered as user-centred and open innovation ecosystems often operating in a territorial context (e.g. city, region), integrating concurrent research and innovation processes (co-creation), potentially relying on a public-private-people partnership. Living Labs are expected to support the energy system developers with validation capabilities related to customer/user value of a new service and/or business model design, among others.
Furthermore, Testbeds are understood in this Call as technological testing, piloting and demo-infrastructures which are connected to a real-life energy system. Testbeds are expected to support the energy system developers with validation capabilities related to technical feasibility and/or interoperability of new technological innovations, among others.
The Qualification Criteria
To qualify as a partner for the Transnational Validation Network of the European Joint Programming Platform ERA-Net Smart Energy Systems, the Living Lab or Testbed needs to fulfil with the following basic criteria:
- The Living Lab or Testbed needs to be connected to a real-life energy system.
- The Living Lab or Testbed should provide either a technical infrastructure OR an engaged group of customers/users open to new energy services (number of customers given) OR both.
- The Living Lab or Testbed has an objective that is in line with the goals of the JPP ERA-Net SES and its concept for the Transnational Validation Network.
- The Living Lab or Testbed shall have a point of contact and a responsible organisation, i.e., an organisation that has a mandate to represent the Living Lab or Testbed.
- The Living Lab or Testbed has, at least, one potential legal signatory, i.e., an organisation that can commit to a contract.
- The value that the Living Lab or Testbed is able to provide for the validation of energy innovations to be tested, shall be defined and described.
Benefits for Partners of the Transnational Validation Network
The partners of the Transnational Validation Network and their offerings will be promoted through the matchmaking and communication channels of the JPP ERA-Net SES. The Living Labs and Testbeds may seek to be partners in the project consortia that will apply for financing from the programme or offer services to the projects. The next Joint Call for Project Financing is dedicated to unleashing the potential of digital transformation for the energy transition and will open in September 2020. The new projects financed through this joint call are expected to start by the end of 2021.
Submission of Expressions of Interest
|| 4 June 2020
|| 4 – 18 June 202
|Deadline for registration of Expressions of Interest
|| 30 June 2020, 16:00 CEST
|Deadline for qualification feedback
|| 15 September 2020
|Expected publication of Information Cards
|| End of September 2020
Expressions of Interest must be submitted electronically no later than June 30, 2020 16:00 CET by filling out the form behind the following link:
Note: There is another Call for Expressions of Interest for Digital Platform Providers open simultaneously with this call. Participation in both calls is allowed and both roles, i.e., partner in the Validation Network and a listed Digital Platform Provider, are possible for a single organisation if the qualification criteria for both are met.
More Information and Advice
For more information and advice for preparing your Expression of Interest, please, contact Pia Salokoski from the Support Team of the JPP ERA-Net SES Coordination:
Phone: +358 400 476 626